Pages

Saturday, August 15, 2009

The build list for Regal Beagle

Ok, so I'm a little worried about this because I know I spent WAY more than I wanted to and that I needed to, but there's something to be said about doing it right. So here goes:

For the bike:
Frame: 3rd hand bike co-op - $37.36
Paint: Lowe's - $24.73
Wheels (and rim tape): Baer Wheels - $168.63
Tires, tubes, lockring, freewheel, chain, brake cable, and bar tape: B1 Bicycles - $163.25
Brakes: Bikeisland.com (eBay) - $49.95
Brake levers: Bikeisland.com - $25.00
Crankset: Wheel & Sprocket (eBay) - $49.50
Grand total: $518.42

Tools and such needed:
13, 15, 16, & 17 mm cone wrench: Bikesource - $38.38
Crank puller & chain break: Baer Wheels - 42.68
Bottom Braket tool: B1 Bicycles - $27.74
Total: $108.80

Misc.
Grease: Advanced Auto - $6.18
Dish pan & gloves (for degreasing stuff): K-mart - $5.52
Total: 11.70

Grand Total: $638.92! Ouch!

Reflections:
Looking back, I would have been much more cost conscience and searched a little harder for some deals, but for the most part, I would have done all of the same part replacement. I would have definitely spent a little more on tools and just bought an entire set though. I could have gotten twice as much for only $30-$50 more. I could have cut my costs, a few different ways. I could have looked for a used, or cheaper wheelset, I could have ordered a lot more parts online and probably could have saved an extra $50 or so overall.

As with every project that a guy starts, it's definitely not complete yet (nor will it ever be completely done). The saddle sucks and I'd like to get a new seat post. Luckily, a guy I work with has a saddle that he just bought for a really good deal ($30-$40) and he doesn't like it. I'm going to give it try on mine and if I like it, then he'll pass that good deal onto me. I'd like to get a carbon seatpost because it does absorb some vibration, but I'll probably shop around a lot for that. I also still need to get the fixed cog, but that really shouldn't be anymore than $20 and I've already got the lockring.

I'm well aware that I spent more than I needed too, but it was a great experience! Knowing what I know now, I think the next time I do this, I can save a lot more money. Not only do I already have $100 worth of tools (many of which are the ones that are mostly used), but I also have a lot more knowledge about the whole process. There is still A LOT that I have left to learn, but I would definitely recommend learning more about your bike and how it's put together especially for anyone that wants to get more into cycling, whether it be for commuting, recreation, racing, touring, etc. It's been a really fun project and now that's it's done, I felt the need to name her. The name comes from the fact that the bike is ONU colors (not planned that way) and a girl at work said I should name it after the bar in Ada...The Regal Beagle. Lynette wanted me to name her Ada, but Ada seemed to be missing something...a regality that I felt she deserved.

I already have my next project on my mind. The winter commuter! More to come on that in a later post, but for that project I'll definitely be looking to build it for a rock bottom price.

Here is a good visual representation of the makeover (aka pictures).

Before:

After:

Please feel free to leave some thoughts, questions, advice, etc.

4 comments:

Lynette said...

Ouch is right!

Eric said...

Yes, but I think it's money better spent on a bike than my car, especially since I plan to commute by bike more and more instead of less and less.

Tiffany said...

My next door neighbor owns B1 Bicycles. Small world

Eric said...

Casey is your next door neighbor!?! I actually went to high school with him!! Wow, it really is a small world. Ha!