Pages

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Recipe Wednesday - Acorn squash



Lynette is out for a couple of hours at a bible study so I thought I would partake in my acorn squash that we received from our Green Grocer bag a couple of weeks ago.  Lynette doesn't like squash (at least not yet) so I figured I would be nice and wait and have it on a night she'd be gone.  Tonight was that night!

This was actually a recipe that was included in our weekly email about the contents of the bag. I've never eaten squash like this before.  Come to think of it, I really haven't had that much squash in my life.  It was delicious and was complimented perfectly with some fresh apple cider from Hirsch Fruit Farm that we just picked up today in this weeks bag.  We like it so much, we no sooner go out of the North Market parking lot, then Lynette opened in and started drinking (note to any visitors to our house: usually drinking containers in our house are free from germs, but you might want to start avoiding the apple cider).

Back to the acorn squash.  I cut it in half, with the ridges



Scooped out the seeds 

They kinda look like hearts and it's not even Valentine's Day yet!














I brushed on some melted butter (made in house of course) and seasoned them.















The left one is seasoned with kosher salt and cayenne pepper.  The one on the right is seasoned with kosher salt, cumin, and garlic powder.  I also put some brown sugar on both too, but remembered after they had been in the oven for a couple of minutes and didn't bother to get a picture after I added it.  Just put these in a preheated 400 degree oven for 45 minutes to an hour, depending on size, and bake till soft and caramelized on the top. These were in for 47ish minutes.

The seeds were washed and set aside to dry for toasting after the acorn squash was finished baking.















I just tossed them with some olive oil and kosher salt, put them on a baking sheet at 275 degrees for 15-20 minutes.  They came out great!

I had the cumin and garlic powder half tonight for dinner, and saved the cayenne pepper one for lunch tomorrow.  I just scooped all the yumminess out into a dish.  I think it'll reheat pretty well.  Just the one half filled me up really well!  I didn't know if it would, but all that fiber really pulled through!  The squash seems to be pretty much a blank slate to add any kind of seasoning.  I'll probably play around with the seasoning some more and see what I can come up with, but for tonight, it was just right!


2 comments:

Lynette said...

Hey! I was very thirsty! And it was delicious.

Katie said...

I am definitely going to try this recipe. I've never thought of adding anything other than butter and brown sugar. Garlic sounds delicious!